If you own stock or mutual funds, it may be more tax-wise to contribute these shares than cash. This is because a gift of appreciated stock or mutual funds generally provides you a two-fold tax advantage:

  • First, you avoid paying capital gains tax on the increase in the value of the stock or mutual funds.
  • Second, you receive a federal income tax deduction for the full fair market value of the stock or mutual funds at the time of the gift.*

It’s easy to make a stock or mutual fund gift to PSI.

Our partners at FreeWill have made it easy to securely designate a gift of stock or mutual funds to PSI. Learn more.

If you’re working with a personal broker:

  • To transfer securities to PSI electronically, i.e., via Depository Trust Company (DTC), provide the DTC transfer instructions to your broker. The securities will be transferred directly into PSI’s account at its custodian bank.
    • Complete this transfer form and forward it to your financial advisor.
    • DTC transfer instructions:

    DTC #0221
    FBO: Population Services International
    Account Number : WS89925
    Institution Name: UBS
    PSI Tax ID: 56-0942853

    • In order for PSI to properly credit the gift, it is important that the broker reference your name in the DTC transfer instructions.
  • Notify PSI’s Global Fundraising department of your gift, as donor information does not always transmit through the DTC wiring system. Fax the transfer form to Beau Westbrook: 202-785-0120 or email [email protected].

QUESTIONS? Contact Beau Westbrook at 202-572-1880 or via email at [email protected].

  1. * Please note that this information should not be construed as legal or tax advice. Please contact your own accountant, attorney, or tax advisor for assistance regarding stock or mutual fund gifts you may be considering making to PSI.